Moving homes can be a happy time!
This is the time of year when many people consider moving homes
or have made the decision to move.
Moving homes is a great time to be honest with yourself about everything in your home including décor, furnishings, small appliances, clothes, tools – everything.
You’re thinking well moving is 6 months away or 12 months away or in two years so, I don’t need to do anything now to prepare.
WRONG! There is no better time than now to start the process.
You know that time goes by in a blink of an eye and when moving day arrives and you are feeling overwhelmed; wishing you had not put off getting rid of all that excess STUFF we don’t need or use BUT moving day is here and you need to cram all that STUFF into boxes and bags and move it to your new home.
How nice would it feel to arrive at your new home and as you unpack each labeled box, room by room and all of it was possessions that you love, need and use?
Here are 5 moving tips to help make moving easier:
1. Donate those items that you are not keeping or using.
2. Pack items that you will not need now.
- Garage Sales –hold these prior to the move to reduce packing and moving expenses.
- More valuable items can be sold through Consignment Stores, Used Book or Record Stores, Vintage Shops, Auctions.
4. Say NO to storage.
- The longer items are out of sight out of mind, the less likely you will even remember what they are or why you kept them in the first place.
- I do recommend storage if you are staging your home for sale and you are removing excess pieces of furniture, etc. that you will use in your new home. Consider an on-site storage container .
5. Pack a Moving Day Survival Kit and include:
- cheque book or cash
- bathroom and kitchen basics
- tool kit
- cell phone
- change of clothes
Click here for a comprehensive Moving Day Survival Kit
Label and pack them into your personal vehicle for easy access
A few Packing Tips:
- Buy plain newsprint for packing from local newspaper companies
- Use bubble wrap for fragile items
- Boxes from the liquor store are great for packing stem ware and books
- Label boxes and include the room it’s going to
- Write fragile where necessary
- Use zip lock bags for small items i.e. parts of a lamp. Tape them to the lamp.