Home Staging Works – Living Organized
And here is how Home Staging Works
Home Staging works for buyers and sellers. Home Staging makes your home stand out from the rest. There are usually several homes that are identical or very similar in appearance and layout to your home in your neighbourhood.
Recently, I worked with a couple to prepare their beautifully updated home for sale. A few days into the project their neighbour decided they too would sell their home but privately. My client was a little upset about the competition. After a brief discussion I learned that the home 2 doors away did not match my client’s home including the listed price, which was more.
My client’s home sold in four days. Six weeks later the neighbour’s home was still on the market.
Here are five home staging tips to help prepare your home for resale.
- First of all, De-clutter. Get rid of all the garbage. Anything that cannot be sold, given to charity or recycled goes to the dump. I try to avoid throwing things into the landfills, however, if it is garbage then treat it as such. Call a garbage removal company if necessary.
- Pack items that you are not currently using.
- Pare down cupboards, vanities, closets, storage areas to show maximum space.
This is a good time to re-evaluate how many items in your home are truly useful and used. Downsizing now makes more sense and saves you time and money. Do not take anything to your new home that is of no value and will not be used by anyone living in the home.
In addition, when paring down your stuff:
- Sell anything of value – contact me for referrals to the best auctioneers for you.
- Donate to charity.
- Drop off Electronics including fax machines, computers, monitors at a local electronics bin or station in your area.
- For all your dead batteries, visit call2recycle to find a location near you.
- Rent a storage unit off site (if absolutely needed) or call a company that delivers portable storage units.
- Remove all excess packed boxes, suit cases and furniture not being used to stage the home.
Each room should be featured and decorated for the original purpose that it was designed.
- Clear out the garage.
- De-personalize your home.
- Replace personal photos with pictures and décor that appeal to almost anyone.
- Clean your home from top to bottom.
- The Painting. The goal is to create a relaxing and appealing environment that buyers find welcoming.
Helpful Tip: All the big paint companies produce a range of Historic colours often used for Home Staging.
Paint doors and trim the same throughout the home’s interior. This pulls the house together.
- Don’t forget about the curb appeal or the lack thereof. It is not uncommon for people to drive away when the house doesn’t look nice from the street or potentially begin to think “price drop.”
When Home Staging remember, a buyer’s first impression is made within 5 seconds of walking into your home.
More accurately…it is made from the curb.
Several years ago, we looked at a home that viewed great in the photos on the MLS. When we drove up to the open house my husband saw my jaw drop. He said, “We don’t need to look at this one.” I said, “It’s okay. It’s only the curb appeal- let’s go in.”
Of course, I’m thinking how I can use this to negotiate a lower price. I knew that chances were the inside of the house would need work too. And it did. Therefore, the listing was pulled from the MLS.
AND, this homeowner became my client. Although it wasn’t the right house for us, we turned this house into a home that was easy for others to fall in love with.
Here is what the happy couple had to say about how home staging works:
“Thank you for helping us come to grips with the reality of selling our house. With your advice we sold the house in a week. What a difference it makes when all that stuff you think you need is no longer here.” –Ron & Amanda – Innisfil, Ontario
No matter the season make your home look inviting from the curb.
Nine very simple home staging tasks to help prepare your home sale:
- Shovel the snow.
- Mow the lawn.
- Pull the weeds.
- Trim back hedges and shrubs.
- Store garbage bins.
- Make necessary repairs.
- Paint the doors and trim.
- Use hanging pots and planters near the front door or along the walk way.
- If your front yard is in major need of grass or repairs, invest some money here to get full value for your home.
- And finally, remove all pets from the home for viewings.
About 10 years ago, I staged a beautiful home that was expected to sell quickly. Two weekends in a row the realtor ran an open house.
I was shocked when I drove by and saw the listing sign-and it had not sold!
Potential buyers were complaining they smelled cat urine in the home. The house was spotless and the carpets were professionally shampooed twice.
Initially, the homeowner refused to take her cat out of the home during the viewings. Although the home was spotless, it seems like having the cat and its crate in the furnace room planted seeds in people’s minds.
She then agreed to take the cat to her son’s. Finally, just one more open house the following weekend. As a result, the home sold and very close to the asking price.
Five benefits to home staging when selling your home:
- A buyer’s decision is made within 5 seconds of walking into a home.
- Homes that are staged sell four times faster than homes that are not – and most often for more money.
- Consequently, Today’s buyers will pay more for homes that are move in ready.
- Furthermore, Home Staging works in both a buyers and seller’s market.
- Especially relevant, the cost of staging your home is significantly less than having to drop the listing price of your home.
Most of all, how much will it cost you to show your home at its full potential and receive the greatest Return on your Investment?
Make the best use of your time and money. Do the work you can and spend the rest of your budget in hiring professionals.
A Home Staging Professional can recommend reputable services as required and take care of all the details.
2 Options Available to Stage your Home to Sell
All Inclusive and Detailed
‘Room by Room’
Home Staging Report
Hands-On – I take Care of All the Details
Let’s Chat about your specific needs and
budget to get your home ready for sale Today!
Text or Talk 705- 431-7774