I spoke about home staging not long ago and I do not want to sound like a nag. However, this is generally the busiest time of year for getting your home ready for the Spring real estate market. And, right now you are pushing the envelope to be ready so, I’m back on my soap box.
The top 2 most important things to do in home staging are Decluttering and Cleaning your home from top to bottom.
Follow these top 2 steps to get started with your home staging project.
1. Declutter your home.
- Find new homes for all those things that you will not be using in your new home.
- If you have a lot of things to recycle plus garbage have a disposal bin delivered. Toss Garbage, metal, wood, lumber, electronics, etc. into the bin. All items that can be recycled are sorted at a private transfer depot. Only garbage goes into the landfill.
- Hire an organizer now to avoid the overwhelm.
At Living Organized we recycle approximately 95% of our client’s possessions through the appropriate venues.
Depersonalize your home. Potential buyers need to imagine their family photos and personal belongings in the home.
2.Clean your home.
I cannot stress enough the importance cleaning your home top to bottom.
Common places we overlook when cleaning are:
- Knobs, door handles, light switches
- Air vents, ceiling fans, light fixtures
- Window blinds
- Appliances like the washer and dryer
Everything needs to appear that it has been well kept. When potential buyers come into your home and its not clean, they do not see it as move in ready. People will pay more for move in ready homes. They will pay more for those that have been well cared for.
When people do not take care of the basic cleaning in their home the flag goes up what about the big stuff.
What do I mean by the big stuff…
Potential buyers start to question have they changed the filter in furnace? Why would this matter? This is huge and very significant. If your filter isn’t changed then how hard might your furnace be working. Therefore, potential homeowners fear there might be additional costs above the real estate fees, legal fees, moving expenses and more to their list of items that they cannot avoid paying when moving to a new home.
You’ve cleaned out the refrigerator – that’s great. What about under the refrigerator or the back of it where cob webs grow.
You might decide that you want to invest some money in having a professional cleaning company come in. Your home is the biggest investment you will ever have. How much is it worth for you to get top dollar and the best possible ROI (return on investment)?
Most buyers want move in ready homes. Invest some time and money into your biggest investment.
Benefits to staging your home to sell:
- A buyer’s decision is made within 5 seconds of walking into a home.
- Homes that are staged sell four times faster than homes that are not – and most often for more money.
- Today’s buyers will pay more for homes that are move in ready.
- Home Staging works in both a buyers and sellers’ market.
- The cost of staging your home is significantly less than having to drop the listing price of your home.