Downsizing Seniors – 3 Simple Steps
The Title says Downsizing Seniors BUT,
at this time of the year the emphasis is often on Home Staging. And, before you get to the home staging you must go through downsizing seniors Newmarket – a three simple step process of paring down and packing up all that stuff not needed now. You want to show your home as a warm and inviting house where MANY potential buyers can see themselves and their families living.
When Downsizing seniors Newmarket or anyone moving, the first 2 things that you will be told by most real estate agents, home staging professionals, professional organizers or senior move management specialists are to de-clutter and clean your home top to bottom.
Downsizing Seniors Newmarket – 3 Steps
to get all that extra stuff out of the way:
Get your tools together
- Garbage Bags
- Clear Bags
- Tape Gun & Tape
- Recycling Bins
- Shredder (optional)
- Start small
- Pick one room or space to begin with-it might just be a drawer.
- Pick a room that has less sentimental attachment
- Start with the bathroom or kitchen
- Bathrooms and kitchens often do not hold the same emotional attachment as a bedroom or living room or a photo box stored in the attic.
- Be Thorough
- Whatever space you choose work through the entire room until its done.
- Avoid moving onto another room until you have one completed. It gives you a sense of completion and most of all prevents you from feeling overwhelmed.
Create 3 Piles
- Throw Away – Throw out all items that are garbage
- Give Away – Give items that you want to keep in the family to a child or grandchild now.
Or make a donation to a local charity
- Sell – Sell it at a garage sale or seek out experts to deal with collectibles, antiques & furniture
Ask Yourself These Questions:
- Do I love it?
- When was the last time I used it?
- When was the last time I wore it?
- How many of these same items do I really need?
- What’s the worst thing that would happen if I got rid of it?
- Auctioneers – Antiques, collectibles, can be sold at auction. If you are working with a traditional auction house be sure to photograph and label all the items and sign a contract for all the agreed upon items that leave your home.
- Used furniture stores
- Local charities
- Used Book stores
- Consignment shops
- Social Media – yes social media. Most of us have loads of friends here and can post to local groups in our neighbourhoods.
It’s great even if you are giving it away for free. When we did our renovation in Innisfil this past summer, I photographed the items dragged them to the curb and posted the items to local Facebook groups. GONE!
Sometimes it’s easier to work with an outside party
who is not attached to you or your personal belongings.