6 Organizing Challenges at Work and Home
My Soap Box Rant for the Week – Organizing Challenges:
Schedule in your Personal Time
Having personal time for
the things that are
important to you is all about
“Balance in Your Life.”
If you do not schedule in your personal time… someone or something else will schedule it out!
Exercise, coffee with a friend, date night, etc.
5. Know when you work best. This can be at work or home and includes your exercise time, meditation, phones calls for business or to organizing your family appointments, etc.
- Try to do the most important things when you are most productive or your energy is highest.
- For most people their high productive time is the morning.
Each person has a best time. Figure this out and then manage your schedule to keep your best time free for your most important work – including YOU!
6. Clear your desk at the end of each day.
- Put things back immediately after you are finished with them when possible.
- Set up a 15-minute appointment with yourself to put things back or to file things away at the end of each day.
According to The Wall Street Journal the average executive
wastes six weeks per year retrieving misplaced information.
Scary part they say in Canada we work more. So does that mean we waste more time looking for important documents?
A sign of a messy desk is no longer seen as a productive person who gets things done.
- Consequently, Watch your time. This might mean setting an alarm on your computer, smart phone or an egg timer or an alarm clock to allow enough time at the end of the day to comfortably get your desk or kitchen table cleared in order to have a fresh start the next time you walk into the room.
- Tidy up a space at home before going out or onto the next activity.
- Set timers for the kids so that they can tidy up their school work and other activities before going out or moving onto the next activity.
- Make it apart of the routine
And, End each day on a good note!
Up next on How To Solutions to Organizing Challenges
Living Organized® 101 Series