- February 19, 2015
- Posted by: mharlos
- Category: Home Staging, Moving Services
Why use Home Staging to make your home stand out from your neighbours?
A buyer’s first impression is made within 5 seconds of walking into your home. More accurate, it is made from the curb.
A few years ago we looked at a home that viewed great in the photos on the MLS. When we drove up to the open house my husband saw my jaw drop. He said, “We don’t need to look at this one.” I said, “Its okay. It’s only the curb appeal- let’s go in.”
Of course I’m thinking how I can use this to negotiate a lower price. I knew that chances were the inside of the house would need work too. And it did…the listing was pulled from the MLS
AND, this homeowner became my client. Although it wasn’t the right house for us, we turned this home into one that was easy for others to fall in love with.
Here is what the happy couple had to say:
“Thank you for helping us come to grips with the reality of selling our house. With your advice we sold the house in week. What a difference it makes when all that stuff you think you need is no longer here.” –Ron & Amanda – Innisfil, Ontario
No matter the season make your home look inviting from the curb.
Nine very simple home staging tasks to help prepare your home sale:
- Shovel the snow.
- Mow the lawn.
- Pull the weeds.
- Trim back hedges and shrubs.
- Store garbage bins.
- Make necessary repairs.
- Paint the doors and trim.
- Use hanging pots and planters near the front door or along the walk way.
- If your front yard is in major need of grass or repairs, invest some money here to get full value for your home.
And finally, remove all pets from the home for viewings.
Several years ago I staged a home that was beautiful and it was expected to sell quickly. Two weekends in a row the realtor ran an open house.
I was surprised when I drove by and saw the listing sign-and it had not sold!
I called the client to find out that potential buyers were complaining they smelled cat urine in the home. The house was spotless and we had the carpets shampooed twice.
Initially, the homeowner refused to take her cat out of the home during the viewings. Although the home was spotless, having the cat and its crate in the furnace room planted seeds in people’s minds.
She then agreed to take the cat to her son’s. There was one more open house the following weekend – the home sold and very close to the asking price.
Five benefits to home staging when selling your home:
- A buyer’s decision is made within 5 seconds of walking into a home.
- Homes that are staged sell four times faster than homes that are not – and most often for more money.
- Today’s buyers will pay more for homes that are move in ready.
- Home Staging works in both a buyers and sellers market.
- The cost of staging your home is significantly less than having to drop the listing price of your home.
How much will it cost you to show your home at its full potential and receive the greatest Return on your Investment? Make the best use of your time and money. Do the work you can and spend the rest of your budget in hiring professionals. A Home Staging Professional can recommend reputable services as required.
Need Affordable Home Staging
a simple follow the steps to completion
Need help with the move or setting up you new home? See our Moving Services