- July 17, 2014
- Posted by: mharlos
- Category: Home Organization
Now, we can start organizing your sentimental items, treasures and extras that you need, use, LOVE, and want to keep.
Home Organizing is a process. I’m not going to lie to you. It is work and it’s not always easy BUT the Results are Rewarding!
Let’s get started on the last 5 steps.
Get out your camera and again, take some before pictures so later you can see what you have achieved.
As you work through the home organizing process ask yourself these questions:
• Do I use this?
• When was the last time I use this?
•When was the last time I wore this?
• Do I need this many of the same or similar item?
• Can I get another one if I need it?
• Can this be donated to someone else who can really use it?
1. Get a portfolio or bins for organizing kid’s art work and school work in. Be brutal about this. You don’t have to toss them all – keep the best or the most touching. If you’re inclined to scrap book the pictures will take up a lot less space.
Take photos and create a digital photo album.
2. Boxes of photos – Scanning to a USB is a great option, however, keep in mind as technology changes will you be able to open those “older” programs. Going forward in the digital age it will be much easier to deal with all those pictures if you download the photos to a secure online storage. Here are 2 free online services to check out. flickr.com google photos
3. Create a space to store bins. Preferably off the floor. If you are placing bins on the floor make sure they are heavy so not to float in case of flooding. Label the bins.
4. Place roasting pans, party trays, platters, etc. used for special occasions on shelves in an out of the way area. Under the stairs is a great place for home organizing and storing these items.
5. Hanging space. Use a shower curtain rod and hang it from the rafters to give you extra storage for ski pants, winter coats, gowns, etc. If necessary, cover them in plastic to keep the dust off.
Create a time line for those items you are not sure about. Set them aside for now.